If you have been to any sort of gathering or party, the sight of a person getting the crowd entertained with easy mind reading tricks shouldn’t be unusual. It’s entertaining and piques the audience’s interest. Also it becomes an instrument to make the party last longer and be more fun. If you have been aspiring to be the life of the party, read on to learn 5 easy mind reading tricks to amaze your crowd.
While magicians from centuries ago had it easy with the absence of technology, there are still some who wonder about the mystery behind mind reading magic tricks. (You can find out more about mind reading magic tricks here). In this age of Google and smartphones, there are some things that just wouldn’t be the same on screen and face to face. People who are curious enough are also willing to participate in your performance. We’ll talk about how to read people’s minds, laying out the tricks of the trade and 5 easy mind reading tricks you can try out today.
Before the Magical Encounter
Before you go up to a random audience member and start performing easy mind magic tricks on them, there are a few things to remember when selecting the right mind to read. These tips are especially useful if you want to do spontaneous street magic with random strangers – or maybe people you work with who you haven’t really talked to until the party.
Pick the best person to read
How to know who is the best person, you may ask? It is not someone who is the most excited to be read nor is it the one at the back avoiding your eye. You want to pick the person who’s just in the middle of these two. This will be someone who has shown a moderate amount of excitement and engagement with what you have been doing and saying so far. The people who are too eager to participate may just want themselves to be in the spotlight, and shy people can be difficult to perform with. Choose someone who wants to interact with you, but not steal your thunder.
Mimic the subject and take note of their interests
If you mimic your participant’s movements, they will feel more comfortable. Because it will help them feel relaxed and closer to you. Ask what their interests are and use the information you get into your performance. If they are into music, make your act musical. If they love arts, you can include drawing in your act.
Keep a mental tab of your audience’s statistics
Take note of what your audience’s age range, clothing, and attitude are. There are some people who will respond to certain questions and situations, and it will give you the upper hand if you know what they may say. For example, generally most people when asked to name a color and pressured to give one within three seconds answer red. Use this kind of information to your advantage.
Use body language
Whether they are aware of it or not, people have particular tells when they are telling you the truth or hiding it from you. If you have light hands, there are ways you can touch someone lightly without them noticing, and you can feel changes in their body such as subtle muscle spasms that may show you’re onto something.
Have your audience really buy it
If you are supposed to be concentrating on what a person is thinking about, don’t rush getting to the end of these easy mind reading tricks. If you are using props, wave your hands around, and display your magic prowess. That’s half the trick: patter.
It’s okay to fail. There is always a learning curve to everything, even easy mind reading tricks. You may not do well the first time or the second time, and that’s fine. Just practise and be prepared to give yourself lots of tries.
5 Easy Mind Reading Tricks You Can Perform
Below are easy mind reading tricks you can perform almost anywhere. You only need preparation and a few props. It will pretty much set you up to start your gigs, and if you think you can pull these off without difficulty, you can move on to advanced and intermediate tricks.
1. The Grey Elephant from Denmark
This is a really excellent and easy mind reading tricks to start off your performance. It plays off the third tip mentioned earlier that when people are presented with particular questions, there are answers that are most likely to be chosen every time. You’ll have them playing right into your hands. Knowing the odds is a stepping stone to being a great mind reading magician. Tell your participant to:
- Pick a number between 1 and 10.
- Multiply that number by 9.
- If the resulting number is two digits, add them up.
- Subtract 5 from that number.
- With that number in mind, correspond it to the letter it stands for in the alphabet (1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, 4 = D, and so on).
- Think of a country that begins with your letter.
- Take the second letter of that country, think of an animal that starts with that letter.
- What color is that animal?
Usually most people will answer Denmark as the country with their letter. Making E as the second letter, and a lot of people are going to answer Elephant to that. Lastly, elephants are grey, so there you go! What makes this a good start to your mind reading tricks is that not only is it easy, it can throw people off. Your audience will wonder how you got to that result without them realizing that there is a pattern to it.
2. Telepathic Telephone Book
A lot of youngsters today haven’t even seen a telephone book, so this will be extra entertaining for them. This easy mind reading tricks needs a phone book and two spectators who can calculate fairly fast. First, call on the first audience member and ask them for a 3-digit number. Alternatively, to make your audience more involved, ask three different audiences for one number each and combine them to make one 3-digit number. Write that number down on a sheet large enough for everybody to see. Then, ask another spectator to do the math with this chosen number. For instance, we will use 359 here:
- Ask the second spectator to reverse the number: 953
- Next, subtract the smaller number from the bigger number: 953-359=594
- Then reverse this new number and add it to the last number: 495+594=1089
- Finally, ask your audience to look in the phone book. Turn to page 108, then find the 9th entry.
- Let the spectator concentrate on finding the name, and when they do, pause for effect. Announce the name that is in the phone book.
The trick to this is regardless of what three numbers your audience are going to choose, the answer will always be 1089. Try it. Any number you reverse and add in the way you did, the result will be the same. This is a good trick when you’re hanging out with friends or at an office party, where you just casually say, ‘Hey, want to see something amazing? Let’s see what to use. Maybe hand me that phone book over there.’
Of course, scan that phone book before the party or before you decide to use this trick to know what the 9th entry is on page 108. Remember that name and your trick can’t go wrong. If people get amazed with this trick and ask you to do it with another book, just tell them you have used enough power for that one, or you’ll pass out. Great excuse to use actually.
With this concept of always getting 1089, you can be creative and think of other ways to amaze your audience by applying this easy mind reading tricks.
3. Black Magic
This one is perfect for a party as it will include an entire group of people. First, you will need an assistant to perform this easy magic trick with. Make sure nobody knows he or she is in on the trick. You may want to include the star of the party to make it more fun. It can be the guest of honor, or maybe the birthday girl or boy. Before bringing the group together, you and your assistant will discuss this trick. Tell your assistant that your signal will be naming a black object.
- Bring everyone together in the room.
- Next, tell everyone that you are going to leave the room, that while you are outside, the group will collectively pick one object in the room. When they have done so, you will come back.
- Then tell your assistant (unknown to everybody else that he or she is) to begin naming objects in the room. Assure them that you are going to magically find out what object they picked.
- Your assistant then starts naming objects in the room: a table, a clock, a carpet and so on. Wait for the assistant to say something obviously black. The thing the assistant names after the black object will be the object the group has picked. So when your assistant has done listing the objects found in the room, you already know what they have picked.
Tip: In case the object they picked is your signal object, discuss it beforehand with your assistant. It will be good to have a backup plan for this. You can come up with a subtle signal to indicate that the object they picked is not after that black object. It can be a smirk, a scratch on the head, or whatever you can come up with.
4. The Invisible Dice
This is another trick that involves math and showmanship. You will realize that most easy mind reading tricks involve simple mathematical calculation. This trick here involves an invisible dice – literally!
Ask for a volunteer from your audience, or choose one. Hand that person your invisible pair of dice. Ask them to roll the dice and ask what imaginary number they rolled. You can ask them to do the same and ask them the same question for a second. This is just to create a “mysterious” effect.
Now ask that person to roll the dice one last time. But this time, don’t let him tell you what the numbers are. Have him do the following:
- Select one of the imaginary numbers
- Double this number (x 2)
- Then add 5 to the number (+ 5)
- Multiply the result by 5 (x 5)
- Add the result to the second (imaginary) number of the dice
- Ask him what the total is
- With this final number, you will be able to reveal what imaginary numbers they rolled initially!
For this trick, it will take a little bit of memorization and practise to get it right. It uses math so you have to be quick as well. Assuming the imaginary number they rolled are 6 and 1, let’s review the steps again..
- Select one of the imaginary numbers: 6
- Double this number: (6 x 2) = 12
- Then add 5 to the number: (12 + 5) = 17
- Multiply the result by 5: (17 x 5) = 85
- Add the result to the second imaginary number of the dice: (85 + 1) = 86
The SECRET here is to subtract 25 from the total: 86 – 25 = 61
Here, the result is 61. Separate those two digits and you will have their imaginary numbers! Try it with other permutations i.e. 5 and 2, 4 and 3 etc. and you will always be able to reveal their numbers!
5. Number Prediction Trick with a Cell Phone
This is one of the cool magic tricks that will make your friends go crazy as to how you did it. Moreover, this will require a huge number and they are completely random, that you could not have possibly predicted it beforehand. As with number 4 trick, you will need to use quick math to get this right.
- Ask someone from the audience to take out their mobile phone and open their calculator app.
- Ask them to multiply single digits (any number from 1 to 9) one at a time, until they get a huge number between 1 million and 1 billion. Their resulting number should be between 7-9 digits long.
- From this gigantic number, ask them to choose one of the digits as their secret number. For example, 9 x 5 x 8 x 3 x 7 x 8 x 6 x 8 x 5 = 14,515,200. Let’s say the secret number they have chosen from this huge number (14,515,200) is “5”.
- Next, have them tell you all the rest of the digits n their calculator except the secret number. They can read it any way they like, chronological, backwards or jumbled.
- After hearing what the rest of the digits, you will be able to correctly reveal to them what their secret number is!!
The secret here is applying the rule of 9. This rule states that anything multiplied by 9, digits of the resulting numbers will add up to 9, or multiples of 9.
9 x 7 = 63
6 + 3 = 9 (add up to 9)
9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 7 = 21,168
2 + 1 + 1 + 6 + 8 = 18 (multiple of 9)
As you ask someone to keep hitting random digits on their cell phone, the odds are high that they will hit 9, or multiples of 9 i.e. 18 (3 x 6)
Tip: You can also ensure that 9 is entered into the calculator by starting the trick yourself. As you explain to them what they need to do i.e. multiply random single digit to get a large number, you can start off (in the pretense of giving them examples) by punching “3 x 6 x 8” into the calculator. Then ask them to continue. That way, you can be sure that the end result will be a multiple of 9. You can think of other creative ways too!
When they tell you all the digits of the resulting number (except their secret number), add all these digits mentally. In the case of our example above where their secret number is 5…
Resulting number: 14,515,200
1 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 0 + 0 = 13
Based on the number 13, find out the nearest multiple of 9 from 13. In this case, the nearest multiple of 9 from 13 is 18. Now remember we earlier established that anything multiplied by 9, digits of the resulting numbers add up to 9, or multiples of 9.
So in order to find out their secret number, all you need is to subtract 13 from 18, and you get 5!
Exception: There will be cases where all the digits add up to be exactly a multiple of 9; that means their secret number is either 0 or 9. How do you then predict the secret number?
Try to get hints from them by telling them something like…”I am not getting any signal from you, it feels like you are thinking of nothing.. make sure you concentrate…”. If they give you a knowing smile, it probably means they are thinking of 0. If they just look confused, that probably means they are thinking of 9.
You can also try a less subtle way by telling them you’re not quite sure what the secret number is (with some acting of course). Ask them if it’s an odd or even number. If they again look confused, the secret number is probably 0. If they say it’s odd, then of course it’s 9.
Once again, you can always think of other creative ways to find out whether it's 0 or 9.
So there you have it! You can now impress people with your mind reading abilities. As you can see, these easy mind reading tricks are simple enough to learn. While there are other tricks that involve more complex math and mind reading, with the above tricks you just need some preparation and practice. Remember that as long as you understand the concept, you can always be creative and add some intrigue into the tricks. You can also practise with someone you’re close with who can make suggestions or positively criticize your performance to make it better.
Finally, we hope these easy mind reading tricks tickled your bone and you are able to have some fun and laughter with your family and friends. Magic is fun and it creates good vibes in everyone; both for the performer and the audience. Find out these
Want to have some more tricks up your sleeves? Check out these Cool Magic Tricks Revealed!
Like it? Share it!